Welcome

Welcome to my wargaming blog,
I'm Dave and live in Morpeth, Northumberland in the UK.
This may or may not be a regular thing, we'll just have to see how it goes.

I am a painter/collector of figures first and a wargamer second. My thrill in this great hobby of ours is to place that final well researched & painted unit into the cabinet. The actual gaming with the figures is an important but secondary experience, we all like to win, but it isn't the be all and end all of it, being with good friends and having fun is.
Hope you will enjoy reading this blog as much as I will writing in it.
Just to remind the visitor to scroll down the various pages and click on 'older posts' to see more.
Dave.

Thursday 8 September 2011

Naval Gazing

Andy commented to remind me that the Durham show also took place in this area. Durham is a show that is smaller than the Reiver show in Newcastle, a real local show, but that's no bad thing the folks there are friendly and small isn't necessarily bad ( at least that's what my wife tells me!).
Anyway one of the years I went down Andy and some of his mates were playing a Russo - Japanese War naval game using some of his collection of 1,600 scale warships see; Old Glory Shipyard . It seemed to be a cracking game with expletives as well as shells flying across a 6' x 4' table. I must say that I did suggest that the lads should (as it was a sunny day) move the game outside onto the bowling green, don boater hats and use Fletcher Pratt rules. These were written by this Gent about 1940 Wikipedia and were on the 'Grand Scale', guestimating ranges and even with players using binoculars to spot types of ships!
I remember when I was young my brother (who has 14 years on me) using these rules with his 1,200 scale WW2 home made (out of balsa wood) ships. Preparation included finding out the tonnage of each ship, it's armour at various points and number and sizes of guns. You then had to put this info into a huge calculation to find each ships sinking point, as each hit from opposition gunnery would take points off the total. Bloody complicated but as it was all we had in the 70's it did fine and dandy!
All a shallow excuse to put up the photos of the few ships I own, all GHQ 1,2400.

Bismarck


HMS Hood


Prince Eugen


HMS Prince of Wales


And also a couple of Napoleonic ships both Langton models:








Byeeeeee, Dave.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there

    I have been searching on the Internet for weeks to find a the right water effect then I stumbled over your nice models. They made just way I would like it to be done. Can you perhaps give som info on how you made the water, effect and what colour codes you have used. Thanks in advance.

    Reese

    ReplyDelete